Posted to alt.home.repair
legbuh legbuh is offline

Default Brown water from outside hydrant?

Hello.

This fall we finished up a shop that is about 200 feet away from our
house, a slight down grade. We also tapped the main water line (from
our well) and T-d it off to install an outside freezeless water hydrant
by the shop. It is about 75 feet from where it was t'd to the hydrant,
also downhill from the house on a slight grade.

Now when I use the water in the hydrant it runs for about 20 seconds,
then turns brownish, and clears up in about 2 minutes.

My wife said that if she is running water in the house when I turn on
the outside hydrant, it stops almost all water in the house for a few
seconds, and sometimes the water appears also brown for a couple seconds
in the house (mainly the cold water).

Is this just something we have to deal with, or did maybe the installers
who t'd the water line skip a step? It's really not that big of a deal,
but it helps if I can explain what's happening to the wife. I assume
it's backflushing the line when I use the outside hydrant. And over
time it may not be "as brown".

Thanks.