Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Comcast Newsgroups Comcast Newsgroups is offline

Default Cleaning bandsaw blades & rubber tires

Thanks George. My problem with removing the blade to clean is that the wood
that I am cutting is very green (water flying). It is Live Oak and Black
Oak and begins to clog after trimming one piece. It is a big hastle for me
to remove the blade because I also have added a larger plywood table to
facilitate large pieces and requires removing some bolts before removing the
blade. Not that I am lazy but it it just too much of a hastle.

Thanks again........Ralph

"George" wrote in message
et...

"Comcast Newsgroups" wrote in message
. ..
Feedback re lubricant stick and pitch remover:

I tried the bandsaw blade lubricant stick and agree with a previous
poster in that it doesn't work on wet wood, gums up very quickly.
However; I sprayed the Rockler Pitch Remover on the blade and it works
great. I spray the blade as I slowly rotate it by hand. In a couple
minutes the gunk comes right off by slightly scraping the blade, very
little effort. I use a thin 6" metal ruler (any thin flat scraper will
do) to scrape the blades and also to remove the gunk off the wheel tires.
I do this while rotating the wheels by hand. The question I have is that
the Pitch Remover doesn't list the ingredients so I do not know if the
pitch remover will harm the rubber tires. I like using this stuff but
hate the thought of replacing rubber tires more. Any suggestions will be
greatly appreciated......Ralph

Same as before. Use oil to prevent pitch buildup.

Remove your blade, fold per instructions and immerse in a good solution of
washing soda or TSP. After ten minutes you might have to wipe with a
towel.