Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Can you remove/reduce the orange colour of pine which has aged awhile?

On 14 Feb, 01:18, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
wrote:
Hi, I'm trying to find a fireplace secondhand on Ebay and would like
the wooden surround to roughly match the stripped pine doors. However
it's proving very difficult to find one I like which hasn't been
stained or if unstained, doesn't have a very orange tinge.

If pine is unstained but orange in colour is there any way to reduce
or remove this colour, ie make it paler/whiter? Thanks.

You can burn it or cover it in paint.

Both recommended.

;-)

One thing I found when experimenting with staining what is laughing
called 'red pine' nowadays for skirting and door facings was to stain
the wood light pink - Red Mahogany stain 'watered' down, and then use
'Light Oak' stain over that. It gave the wood I had an acceptable
match to old pine doors that had developed a natural soft-set honey
colour.

Rob