Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default A premonition

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
RCM only

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 06:27:43 -0800 (PST), with neither quill nor
qualm, MooseFET quickly quoth:

End debt over GDP data from your suggested reference:

Nixon1 Richard Nixon R 1969-1973 35.7%
Nixon2 Nixon/Ford R 1973-1977 35.8%
Carter Jimmy Carter D 1977-1981 32.6%
Reagan1 Ronald Reagan R 1981-1985 43.9%
Reagan2 Ronald Reagan R 1985-1989 53.1%
Bush GHW George H. W. Bush R 1989-1993 66.2%
Clinton1 Bill Clinton D 1993-1997 65.6%
Clinton2 Bill Clinton D 1997-2001 57.4%
Bush GW1 George W. Bush R 2001-2005 64.3%

It is much the same graph with just a different scaling. The other
graph was scaled by the value of the constant dollar. The rapid
increases in dept for both scalings is still aligned with the
republican president. On your scaling both Carter and Clinton are
shown to have improved the situation.

What I'd like to see along with those are the affects an opposing
CONgress had on those figures. I believe the more fiscally
conservative Rep congress had an effect on Clinton's terms, especially
in '94. Were it only true today... Rep/Dems abound, spending money
like it was going out of style.

There's no need to guess. You can look up the revenues and expenditures for
those years, as well as the national debt.

Regardless of the fact that the Republican presidents and lawmakers have
been more profligate, we'd be interested to know what spending you would
have reduced or eliminated. When you look at the annual budgets (available
at the White House site), you'll find it's not so easy.

--
Ed Huntress