billh

Default Arc welder and house lights/appliances

Are all or a lot of your lights flickering? Any lights that are on dimmers
are very susceptable to minor voltage variations which translate into
obvious flickering by the lamp. This is due to the dimmer circuit and not
serious voltage fluctuations in your house. If non-dimmer circuit lights are
flickering then you may have a problem.

I have a 240V/225A Miller buzz-box and typically weld at 140A or less. It is
connected back to the main breaker panel. My wife says we don't have any
flickering problems in the house when I weld.

Billh

"Camilo Ramos" wrote in message
Hello all!

Finally considering an arc welder. I still must decide between
buying/building either a transformer type or one based in a truck
alternator. Pricewise, buy/build the transformer (copper wire, iron
laminate, etc) seems similar to build the alternator type (motor,
alternator, battery, etc).
There is another consideration: The effect of the load on the house
appliances . When repair guys have been at the house the lights have
flickered noticeably, even wiring their transformer directly to the
breaker panel. I have voltage regulators at the computers, the tv and

cable
box but the flicker seems a bad thing to do to the house in a regular
basis.
If I did my math right the load for a 2HP motor would be about 8 amps,
less than input amperage required for an useful transformer. Please
correct if wrong.
So do you guys with tranformer welders do something to alleviate the
problem of simply live with it?

BTW, right now my OA rig is near empty, but since I cannot spare $$ from
food and bills until year's end or so I will build a water resistor. Long
ago I got from Lindsay's the booklet that explains how to do it and the
materials are around the house, so the cost would be zero. Note that I

have a
3-phase 208V 50amps outlet (yes I checked that), so any suggestion for
improvement is welcome.

--

Regards,

Mongke