Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Electronic advice Off Topic I know but yous guys is smart

Dan -

What do you mean burned up on the capacitor ?

It is an electrolytic or is it a plastic drop looking ?

If a drop looking - that is the issue bad manufacturer of Tantalum caps.
This was long time a problem - PC motherboards and so many others.

You can replace it with a wet slug or tubular type or pick a new company.
Be careful how you solder drops in - or any for that matter - there are
+ and - ends on them and in reverse they will burn.

That might be the issue - they might have a design goof and mark one lead
as + when (and only maybe) it is -.

You would have to measure the voltage across it - the higher + is on the
red dot side or the + side. If it is in reverse - we found the bug.

TWN issued lots of these in their plants. Might be starting again.
Often the burned is the center of the tip is burnt. It might all glow!
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Dan wrote:
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you guys.

As far as why the defrost controllers are failing, I feel it is a
manufacturing problem. I took the cover off the latest failed
controller and found a burnt capacitor. 22uf 50V. I bought 3 of them
for $.75. I'll solder it in and have a spare.

I did a search on the web for
Maytag MSD2556AEW defrost controller failure and found a ton of
information. These things are failing at a high rate. And they fit
several model refrigerators. The next one that goes, I'm going to
extend the wires so the controller and plug sit on the top shelf and
changing it will take about 30 seconds, instead of the 1 hour it takes
me now.
Thanks again for all your suggestions.
Dan