Posted to alt.home.repair
Magenta Magenta is offline

Default Staining veneer interior doors

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 18:33:03 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Magenta" wrote in message
.. .
I've bought two unfinished oak veneer interior doors (Jeld-Wen).
Neither stained well; splotches around the rail/stile glue lines with
some extending out over the face.

Is there something to clean these doors with prior to staining? I
don't want to sand the veneer too vigorously.

Sand with 220 grit. The apply a pre-stain conditioner or mineral spirits to
avoid splotches.

I think it's glue. So the mineral spirits are probably a good idea.

And what is a pre-stain conditioner? What would I look for in the
store?

And do either affect my choice of stains?