Posted to alt.home.repair
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Repairing Sagging Drywall in Ceiling

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:48:16 -0800 (PST), Jeff B wrote:

On Feb 13, 1:48*pm, "benick" wrote:
1/2 inch might be doable..Start in a corner

Corner??? I'm thinking starting in the middle and working my way to
the outsides. Altho if its jacked up with 2x4s, where I start/finish
may not matter.

--Jeff

Not good. Start at the outside edge of each drywall sheet and work toward
the middle. 1 5/8" screws are overkill, but might be needed to grab the
rafter. Start along a wall parallel to a rafter and run the entire length
of a rafter. Move on to the next rafter and keep moving from one side of
the room to the other. If the screws pop through you may need to slowly
work each screw up a little at a time to keep them from popping through. Go
slowly to keep from popping the screw heads.

The dimple bits work well in a drill for as much as you are doing. If you
know someone with a real screwgun that is better, but don't overdrive the
screws. They need to be just below the surface of the drywall.