Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
Lou Lou is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

"Bob Shuman" wrote in message
A quick comment on warranty period and the AVERAGE home gas water heater
life.

The AVERAGE is exactly that: an average or mean calculation of the life

for
all units shipped/sold. The real life span is affected by many things,
including the water quality/hardness (it consumes the anode quicker), the
temperature setting you select (hotter means it builds more internal
pressure and you get a shorter life) and the amount of hot water that you
use (more cycles of the burner mean a shorter life).

I am on my third gas HWH and purchased the house new in 1991. The first
heater lasted about 7 years and the second 6.5 years. I had a 7-year
warranty on the tank from Sears and they gave me a replacement free of
charge which has been in now for over 5 years. I believe that I will get

longer life this time around since two of my children are no longer living
at home.

The bottom line here is that the warranty period may be important

depending
on your circumstances. It is basically a cheap insurance policy that

covers
only the cost of a replacement heater. For me, that was important since I
do the installation myself, but for someone hiring a plumber, the material
cost could easily be less than the labor and associated miscellaneous
expenses (permits).

I think it matters no matter who does the installation - either way, you
didn't have pay for a new heater.