Posted to sci.electronics.repair
msg msg is offline

Default dc power on-off with single pole momentary switch

John Bachman wrote:

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:47:18 -0500, John Bachman
wrote:

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 10:21:02 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

This is normally implemented with a flip-flop (bistable). You should be able
to mimic the behavior with two comparators. See any college textbook on
basic digital design.

Yes, I am aware of that design. Basically the switch provides a
"clock" signal that flips the flop which operates a pass transistor. I
may end up with that.

I just got the idea in my head that it could be done with one
dual-comparator and am frustrated that I cannot figure out how to do
it.

John

Also, another component is needed to debounce the switch. One
comparator does that nicely so I was trying to combine two functions.

Why not wire up the dual comparator with mutual feedback and
hysteresis; then use pulse steering capacitors and diodes (reference
bistable multivibrator circuits from 1960's era computing) to
effect a state change with an input transition on the trigger line?

Michael