Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Clausing 5914 - Tool-slide saga

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:
"Paul" wrote in message
. ..

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

Harold

Your pretty much right on, I usually rough with my 5904 at .100" a side
and .006 or.008" feed, and while definitely working it isn't
uncomfortable. I've pushed this machine harder but you sorta get that
'don't turn your back on it' feeling.

Regards
Paul

The nature of the tool makes a huge difference. Are you using HSS? With
a proper chip breaker, that should be a nice cut, yielding a coiled chip, if
not broken. I've always accepted coils in lieu of breaking. They're much
safer to handle than strings, and are easy to clean up. Best part is, if
you're used to running negative rake at high speed, you don't get those
nasty blue chips that fly off the jaws and burn to your skin.

Harold

Actually the above is with inserted carbide, I'll generally rough with
carbide and finish with HSS. I've got one of those 'tangential' HSS
holders and usually can face or turn with the same tool setup. It does
preclude grinding chip breakers into it (at least its beyond my skill)
and it does tend to stringy chips.

When roughing I try for short coils that leave the tool tan and hit the
chip pan blue. I agree that the classic 'comma' chip lands on bare arms
and down shirt fronts all to often. If the chips are tight coils that
break when an inch long or so I like that the best. Coils that don't
break and snake down around the apron and chip pan make me nervous,
especially when you're approaching a shoulder and need to kick the feed out!

Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.