Steve Smith

Default Which machine?

You guys have good comments. I started with a lathe; when I got a mill
it really opened my eyes. I find a mill much more useful (but I wouldn't
do without either).

Steve Smith

AL wrote:

I like John's explanation. I'll add that a lathe is easier to learn (in my
opinion).

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message

Say guys, I'm tired of hand tools and want to get a real machine tool
besides my drill press. Strictly hobby and shop. Which would you buy

first,

a lath or a mill?

Thanks for any input.

If you want to work with round things and cut threads, get a lathe. If you

want

to work with not-round things and bore holes, cut slots, etc get a mill.
Personally, I think a lathe is by far the most useful thing in a general

shop.

A mill would be a close second, unless you plan on doing work where it it
required.

GTO(John)