Posted to alt.home.repair
Mikepier Mikepier is offline

Default Repairing Sagging Drywall in Ceiling

On Feb 13, 9:07*am, Jeff B wrote:
In the middle of my kitchen reno and while working in my attic, I
discovered that 1 or 2 full sheets of drywall in my living room are
sagging badly. *Apparently the construction adhesive used 30 yrs ago
simply dried up and lost its hold. *Since they used nails not screws
in the 1970s to attach the drywall to the rafters, there wasn't much
to keep it up. *At the lowest spot, the gap between the drywall and
rafter was about 3/4"!! *From inside the attic, I could slide 1/2 my
hand into the gap! *I figured the whole thing would collapse from its
own weight any minute. *I raced to HD and propped it up with a bunch
of 2x4s. * My living room looks like a circus tent.

Getting it supported was step 1. *I now need to figure out step
2...repair. *Replacing all of that ceiling drywall is NOT the
preferred option. *My attic has about 18" of loose, powdery, blown-in
insulation. *Moving that stuff around is a nasty job. *I don't believe
the drywall is cracked anywhere. *It simply sagged as a full sheet (or
2 sheets). * I'm hoping that getting it flush to the rafters with the
2x4s and then using LOTS of drywall screws will keep it up there for
another 20 years. *With the loose insulation, getting adhesive in the
gap before screwing up will be difficult if not impossible.

Anyone have experience dealing with this problem?

--Jeff

You can try to secure it to the studs with screws. If it's 3/8
sheetrock, it might be difficult since it's thin plus it will want to
pull away from the rafters. Another option is to laminate over the
ceiling with 3/8 sheetrock.