Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

"Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator" wrote in
message news
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:34:00 -0800 (PST), wrote:
the warranty on high output tanks is 7 years. could of got a 12
year tank but I prefered more hot water over longer warranty which is
generally pro rated anyway and replacement usually based on list price
rather than sale price.

Just to be clear, my research indicates ALL warranties (at least all those
from Sears, Home Depot, and Lowes) are really only 1 year labor.

I don't know about you, but, it's not likely I'll be disconnecting my
water
heater and bringing it to the manufacturer after that one year is up.

May I ask a "real" question?

Given installation is about the same price as the home water heater
itself,
what do you get for that vaunted 12 year warranty after the first year?

Sure, they'll replace it for free ... but it costs as much to replace as
it
did to buy so ... tell me please (I'm not being fascesious) ...

WHAT does the warranty *really* buy you after the first year is up?

Donna

Well if I understand this right, when you buy the heater you pay for the
heater, plus you pay for the installation. For a warranty replacement you
pay for the installation, does that not save you the cost of the heater?

My line of thought is that a unit with a longer warranty is likely built
better, with better quality components, and thus likely to last longer.
Whether this is universally true I can't say, however last time I looked at
them, the 12 year warranty heaters did have a nicer fit & finish than the 6
year models, and the price difference was very small. I'll replace it myself
if it ever fails, and I'm sure it will outlast the warranty with the soft
water we have here, but if it's a higher quality unit I'm willing to pay for
that.