Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.frugal-living,sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet James Sweet is offline

Default Quick basic advice on a dripping gas 40-gal hot-water heater

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 08:09:01 +0000, James Sweet wrote:

"Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator" wrote
in
message ...
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:02:20 GMT, Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
Permits can very , but probably closer to $25 if you actually get one.

You must get a plumbing permit in my town:
Home Depot charges $77
Lowes charges almost $90
Sears charges $95 for that same permit.

The overall installation fee (includes all sans tax & straps) is:
$400 Home Depot 877-467-0542
$410 Lowes 877-465-6937
$433 Sears 800-877-6420

What would a typical plumber have charged for the permit and
installation?

Donna

Jeez.

I'd feel like I was ripping someone off if I charged more than 100 bucks
install a water heater, but then I'm not licensed or bonded so I don't do
this for random people, but still, last one I did took less than an hour,
it's literally 3 threaded pipes and a flue vent.

Best way to find out what a plumber charges is to call one.

Most plumber wont even park in your driveway for less than 80 bucks.

That's one reason I've never called a plumber. I know most of them aren't
getting rich, but still. I've been doing everything myself for so long that
I forget sometimes just how much it saves.