Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Jerry is offline

Default expanation of 3 phaze power

"Nick Mueller" wrote in message
Jerry wrote:

I say that a 3 phase motor can deliver nearly its full name plate rated
power to the load when it is running from a single phase power source. I
suspect that you agree.

No. It only draws 1/3 of the current (only one leg connected). Albeit, the
speed is the same.

I say that a 3 phase motor will stall more easily when running from a
single phase power source than when running from a 3 phase power source.
You certainly agree with that.

I a agree. And it stalls easier, because it only has 1/3 the power. You
can't say it has the same power and at the same time say that it stalls
easier.

I considered that when one of the three motors is spinning, it becomes a
"rotary converter" for the other motors.

Draw a diagram how the legs are connected. You'll see that all
the "generator legs" of the same phase are interconnected. If you think
that one leg of one motor is generating power for an other motor, you
invented a perpetuum mobile.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO:
http://www.yadro.de

Hi Nick

You've made some sort of mistake here somewhere. Thats not your usual
style. Ou, maybe I misunderstand what you are stating when you write "No.
It only draws 1/3 of the current (only one leg connected). Albeit, the
speed is the same."

When a 3 phase motor is running with 2 of it's 3 wires connected to single
phase power, it can be loaded to deliver nearly its FULL name plate rated
power. That means that alot more than 1/3 of the currentfrom the single
phase power.

Nick, I cant draw a diagram of that machine with three, 3 phase motors.
He certainly hasnt posted a diagram. I considered that when one motor is
running after being easily "spun up", it becomes a Rotary Converter for the
other two motors. A 3 phase motor can deliver more than it's name plate
rated power when connected to a Rotary Converter with single phase input
power.

I wonder why you write statements like you do that seem to mock my
statements. Do you think I am stupid? Do you actually think any of
the information I have posted is wrong? Sure, I often make errors while
trying to explain things, but I dont yet recognize any mistakes in any of my
posts to this thread. You might take some time to think about this Rotary
Converter stuff before writing about *my* errors.

Jerry

Jerry