Posted to alt.home.repair
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Need Chimney Cap Repair Advice .. .. ..

"David L. Martel" wrote Bob,

Start by having your chimney inspected. I bet you can replace the top of
your chimney fairly cheaply. You may wish to have a chimney cap installed
at the same time. From your description you do not have a chimney cap at
present.

Agreed. I think the terms are being confused.

Bob, a chimney cap is a device that fits over the tp of the chimney, looks
like a 'cap' and is normally bolted into the brick (cheap ones use just
tension to hold in place but those come off in wind). It completely covers
over the top but is lifted up about 3-4 inches so air flows under it just
fine.
______
/ \
----| |-----

Thats sort of what it looks like. --- are the brick sides where the bolts
go into the chimney
----| solid bar is normally just a post at each side bolted to the brick abd
allows air flow for draft all around the posts.

They cost from 25-50$ depending on how fancy you need. They even come in
cool looking designer fashions.

Also Bob, you are headed for real trouble and $$$ if you dont get a proper
cap up there. I paid 1,725$ for repairs after renters let the cap blow off
this past Spring and just didnt bother to do anything about it til I got
back (ousting them as their lease was up so we could move in). As it is, I
was very lucky to be able to handle it before the first freeze. The damage
after freezing would per their estimates, possibly been extensive.