Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Redelfs Jim Redelfs is offline

Default Scott Fiore has a question hard water spots

In article
,
Scott Fiore wrote:

I don't think the previous owners ever cleaned the glass shower doors.
Our shower doors seems to be etched with hard water stains. Nothing
I have tried will remove them. Even CLR does not remove them.
Any suggestions? Thanks!

I am not trying to be "funny" when I suggest a water softener.

Your shower doors may be permanently damaged. In that case, replacement is
your only option.

Since I have "always" enjoyed soft water, I have virtually no experience with
hard water damage removal/mitigation products. You have already tried CLR, so
I can't help in that regard.

As surprising as it may seem, simply converting to soft water may remove some
of the crud you object to. The process takes a few weeks but it DOES happen.

Those that do not like soft water have never LIVED with it. While the
slippery (slimy?) feel while washing your hands can be disconcerting, one gets
used to it. Rest assured it is simply the soap doing more. The soap doesn't
have to "overcome" water hardness.

We use significantly less laundry detergent which is "appreciated" by our
clothes. Glassware comes out of the dish washer spotless, without the use of
a rinse aid. The glassware is not cloudy and/or etched.

I realize that it is a big investment to convert to soft water. You would not
be disappointed, though.
--

JR