Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveC SteveC is offline

Default Hot Water Questions

"Gary Slusser" wrote in message:

You have a domestic coil in the boiler that heats your water. With
hard water the coil will have a lot of hardness scale formation.
Softened water will dissolve the scale and possibly cause the "sand";
little balls of hardness. They can block up your faucet tip aerators,
remove and clean them, that may help.

You have a well water system or there would not be a pressure switch
or tank. If your plumber adjusted the pressure without adjusting the
captive air pressure in the pressure tank, that can cause 'low
pressure' complaints. The air must be 1-2 psi less than the cut-in
setting with no water in the pressure tank. I.E. 30/50 gets 29-28 air
pressure with no water in the tank. You should have a water pressure
gauge on the tank tee. Run water until the pump comes on, that's the
cut in (30), then shut it off and note the pump shuts off, that's the
cut out (50). Or 40/60 etc..

BTW, leave Ed alone, he's a good guy and correct. You want to cure the
cause of the problem, not put a band aid on it which won't make
anything better anyway.

Now, what is the $300 for? I suspect the plumber has told you he can
run acid through the coil to remove the scale? The softened water will
do that in time; like two weeks or so.

Gary Slusser
Quality Water Associates

Yes, plumber said there might be little particles from the hard deposits
breaking loose from the coil and pipe, but it's been about 2 months since
the water softener has been installed and still the deposits. So I'm
guessing the coil is shot, which is about 300 bux to fix.

about the pressure tank, I will experiment tonight.

yeah, Ed got snippy, i just got snippy back, sorry Ed.

Thanks Gary.