Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hi Effic Furnace vent Pipes covered with snow

wrote in message

They have had extreme snow this winter and the woman has had to call
in a furnace repairman 3 times, each call costing her around $150, and
each time these pipes were buried under the snow. Each time she has
nearly frozen to death because it always happens at night and she
believes that she can not call during the night and must wait until
morning.

The person coming out should have fixed this hte first time. The original
installer was incompetant and should have fixed it right. The service man
is a thief taking advantage of her.

Immediately after the call I got to thinking about extending the pipes
higher up the house siding. I think they are too low. It would be
easy enough to use a few PVC elbows pointed upware, add 2 or 3 feet of
pipe, strap it to the house, and put some traps on top so the pipes
dont fill with rain or snow.

The question is: Is this legal and acceptable?

That is what should have been done the first time. At the top all you have
to do is put a "tee" so it is vented on two sides.