Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default RFID tags...How do they work?

"David Harmon" wrote in message
On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:06:44 -0800 (PST) in sci.electronics.repair,
" wrote,
I am a senior industrial design major and I am have been asked to give
a brief presentation on RFID tags and how they work.

You can't repair them. If it's broke, you have to get a new one.

LOL! you are pointing out that this is a .repair group..

Mr. Stein, I'd help you out if I knew something abou these things, but it
sounds like you understand them as well as I do. Active RFID's have a
battery or power supply. IIRC Passive work by low frequency radio freq about
1hz to power the device by an antenna. It also detects it like this by some
means. Semi-active devices? I have no clue. I'd assume that it is some sort
of mix of the two. Maybe they store recieved energy by capacitance of some
sort. I suggest checking wikipedia and howstuffworks.com

Mike