Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Mueller Nick Mueller is offline

Default expanation of 3 phaze power

Jerry wrote:

I say that a 3 phase motor can deliver nearly its full name plate rated
power to the load when it is running from a single phase power source. Â*I
suspect that you agree.

No. It only draws 1/3 of the current (only one leg connected). Albeit, the
speed is the same.

I say that a 3 phase motor will stall more easily when running from a
single phase power source than when running from a 3 phase power source.
You certainly agree with that.

I a agree. And it stalls easier, because it only has 1/3 the power. You
can't say it has the same power and at the same time say that it stalls
easier.

I considered that when one of the three motors is spinning, it becomes a
"rotary converter" for the other motors.

Draw a diagram how the legs are connected. You'll see that all
the "generator legs" of the same phase are interconnected. If you think
that one leg of one motor is generating power for an other motor, you
invented a perpetuum mobile.

Nick
--
The lowcost-DRO: