Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Wire for smoke alarms?

G. Morgan wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

I can't imagine wanting to use 4-wire detectors in a residential
environment; typically it would just be 120VAC single station tandem
units with aux. relays for optional monitoring.

I'm talking about 12VDC smokes w/ aux contacts (panel powered). Many alarm
panels do not support 2-wire smoke loops.

Like this one:
http://www.systemsensor.com/html/cd.html?UniqueID=3

That'll work, but then you need to add notification appliances as well,
and that's a whole nother ball of wax (unless you use standard 24VDC
detectors with sounder bases)

basically I still think the 120VAC/battery detectors with tandem
connection are probably a simpler, more economical choice for a home
install and provides all the functionality you need - the full "system"
is useful for larger installations where you need annunciation by floor,
zone, etc.

Hey, let's go addressable, let's just get silly

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel