Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Wire for smoke alarms?

That's it exactly, you don't install them in rooms where smoke occurs in
normal use. If necessary, you'd use rate of rise heat detectors, besides you
don't need your entire house screaming at you to tell you that you burned
the toast

wrote in message
On Feb 12, 4:50 pm, "RBM" wrote:
wrote in message

I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Comments?

MC

You need to find out the code in your area. Many jurisdictions require
120
volt with battery backup, interconnected, one unit on each level, and one
unit in each bedroom.
Two locations where you don't install smokes is in the garage or kitchen

Why not the kitchen?

I would think the kitchen is the most likely smoke induced location.
If you leave a stove on and went to talk on a phone and then things
get burnt etc...