Posted to alt.home.repair
Nate Nagel Nate Nagel is offline

Default Wire for smoke alarms?

G. Morgan wrote:
wrote in news:78afbbab-b2ca-4dfb-aabd-
:

I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Yes, have him wire 110V in all the bedrooms and outside the common sleeping
areas at the minimum. Also wire a 18/4 FPL to each detector in a "daisy chain"
fashion + one back to the alarm panel if you have one.

That's a good point, if you ever think you want to add a fire alarm
panel or security system that monitors your smoke detectors as well, you
should pull some extra wire. should NOT be in the same conduit as
120VAC as 24VEDEC is typical; you could free-run plenum rated cable
however (FPLP) you'll need two conductors to all smokes and don't t-tap.
If you do this the smokes you use should have auxiliary alarm relay
contacts. The reason for not t-tapping is for supervision of the
wiring; there will be an end of line resistor (or other device, but I
can only think of one panel off the top of my head where it's not a
resistor and it's not one likely to be installed in a residence) at the
last detector so the panel can check and see if it sees that resistor to
monitor the loop for integrity.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.