Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replacing light bulbs in a high soffit

wrote in message
I have recessed lights along the exterior soffit every 10 feet or so.
The soffit runs from 10' above ground to about 20' above ground at the
highest point then back down.

There is a light at about 13' up and another one about 18' up, about 3
feet off the wall.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...erior/bulb.jpg

The bulbs are not exposed, they are shielded by a trim with a piece of
glass in the middle, you remove the trim by pulling it down for an
inch or so, then on each side of the trim there is a spring which
"hooks" onto a slot on the inside of the can, only if you unhook the
trim cover can you access the inside of the can to change the light
bulb, so I can't use those 20' long bulb changer.

The springs in the trim require two hands to unhook.

I am not looking forward to climbing a ladder 18' tall, then lean out
3 feet to reach a trim to unhook two spring to change a light bulb.

There must be a better way to do this?

Depending on the brand and model housing, you may be able to change the
trims so that the bulb is exposed and thus be able to use an extension pole.

Several years ago I was walking by a house near me and saw a guy using a
small boom type man lift to clean the second story gutters. The base of the
lift was the size of a riding lawnmower plus the outriggers. It was
incredibly compact and I thought that it was perfect for a homeowner. I am
still kicking myself today for not stopping and finding who made that
machine. I have not been able to find it anywhere.