Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default Wire for smoke alarms?

Mark wrote:
Careful with this advice - I think even the hardwired detectors often
have a battery backup in case of a power failure. Check out sites like:
http://smokesign.com/120vacharsmo1.html to see some options.

"Red Green" wrote in message
wrote in news:78afbbab-b2ca-4dfb-aabd-
:

I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Comments?

MC

Well, no battery changing.

No annoying chirping when batteries get weak.

Code often requires at least one wired one on each floor.

If there is a fire it sure would be nice if they all went off so everyone
has the earliest possible warning.

As long as if one becomes defective the whole damn lot doesn't start
chrping!

All of mine do have backup batteries but they are providing no operating
current so the batteries last roughly as long as their shelf life. And
with good alkalines this is a _very_ long time.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]