Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Wire for smoke alarms?

On Feb 12, 4:34*pm, RickH wrote:
On Feb 12, 3:12*pm, wrote:

I am in the middle of the whole house remodeling and my electrician
who is doing wiring for me told me I should have him wire for smoke
alarms for all the rooms while he is at it.

Is this worth the effort? *I was planning on just using battery
operated ones that you attach to the ceiling with a double sided tapes
and only in the kitchen, garage and the family room where a fire place
is located.

What is the benefit of having a smoke alarm that is hard wired? *I
asked him and he said that if it's hard wired and chained together,
then if one goes off all goes off, ok so this is a slight plus.

Comments?

MC

Thats code, your electrician is right its not a bad idea to do it
now. *You will still have the chirping when batteries go low. *The
idea is that the batteries parallel the house power, the house power
does not replace the need for batteries and they will still chirp and
are monitored for weakness. *But the alarms will be synched up and
continue to work even on a dead battery until you get the battery
replaced.- Hide quoted text -

yeah, what they all said. should just be 14/3 to an octagon box in
each room, well worth it if the price is reasonable.

nate