Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Clausing 5914 - Tool-slide saga

Harold and Susan Vordos wrote:

The depth and feed of any given cut will hinge a great deal on the power and
rigidity of the machine in question, but you can take this to the bank::
stay away from large radius tools unless they are absolutely necessary.
Anything beyond 1/16" is asking for grief on light duty machines, which
would include the Clausing. Mind you, I'm thinking of machines similar to
a Mori-Seiki, Axelson or Monarch when I judge the Clausing. I'm not
implying it's not a decent machine. It is-----it's just not heavy duty, and
not well suited to running form tools.

I might suggest that you may be able to pull a cut of .100" depth per side,
with .010" feed when roughing, in steel. Could be wrong. All depends
on how tight the machine is, and if you have the horsepower, as I stated.
I can reduce 3" steel @ .200" per side, .012" feed, negative rake, with my
3 hp Graziano Sag 12.

Harold

Harold

Your pretty much right on, I usually rough with my 5904 at .100" a side
and .006 or.008" feed, and while definitely working it isn't
uncomfortable. I've pushed this machine harder but you sorta get that
'don't turn your back on it' feeling.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.