Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default No shower curbs

On Feb 12, 9:38 am, wrote:
I am wondering how these bathrooms are done without a shower curb:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_...mg/hd6_s_1.jpg

There is still a shower pan below, or no? Or you have to consider the
entire bathroom a giant shower pan and slope everything to the shower
drain?

I have a bathroom I am remodeling where the space between the shower
edge and the closet flange is two inches less than the minimum
clearance (16") and I don't want a 4"-6" thick curb to hold up the
shower door, I was thinking this may be the solution, but may be there
are other creative ways.

There are a bunch of ways to do it. There are compressible rubber
'saddles' that act as a barrier and still allow a wheelchair, or foot,
to cross over it without problems. There are products that waterproof
the entire tiled installation (a very good idea) - http://www.schluter.com/

Depending on how a particular part of the bathroom is to likely get
wet will determine how concerned you should be about waterproofing
areas outside of the shower and will determine how much of a slope you
need to build in. If you're on a slab on grade (I think you are,
right?) then waterproofing is not such a big concern, but if the
bathroom is sitting on wood framing, then you should be much more
concerned.