Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garage door has difficulty closing

On Feb 12, 12:36*pm, Joe wrote:
On Feb 12, 11:24*am, Steven wrote:

My garage door opener can open smoothly, but it only closes about half
way - seemlingly encounters resistance - and then the door re-opens.
I *disconnected the automatic opening system and tried to close the
door manually - it worked but I could feel resistance when pulling it
down around half way. *The system seems fine - springs, cables,
rollers, etc. (I just installed a new SEAS garage door opener two
weeks ago and it worked fine until two days ago. *It's an old door
abotu 15 years old and the old garage door opener was replaced. *I
also lubricated the components of the garage door system.)

Any suggestions? *Thank you.

Keep looking...you missed a roller or two or a track misalignment. Get
up closer and have someone move the door for you and the fault might
be more obvious. Good luck.

Joe

The resistance is either binding or the springs have too much
tension. Since it used to work, I'd suspect it's binding. As
suggested, have someone work the door while you look for where it may
be binding. Could be anything from the track and rollers to the
track having moved and the door now hitting the side of the garage.