Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] basscadet75@yahoo.com is offline

Default Help with leaky shower faucets

On Feb 12, 12:23 am, ATR wrote:
Hello,

while I am quite at home in a materials synthesis laboratory, my
experience and knowledge of every day technical jobs is quite
deficient. However, I just purchased my first home and would like to
address such deficiencies by handling small jobs myself. So, I have a
leaky faucet in my shower and having never changed/installed new
faucets I was hoping to get some advice. Thanks so much in advance.

Leaky shower *faucet* or leaky shower *head*?

In other words, is it the thing that the water comes out of that you
shower with? If so, that's the shower head. (I've never heard of a
"shower faucet", personally, so I suspect you're talking about the
shower head. Unless you mean the bath faucet.)

The difference is important because one is kind of tricky to fix if
you don't know how, whereas the other is almost too easy. If you want
to keep the shower head, then you probably just need to unscrew it,
get some of that white plumber's tape and wrap it around the threads
on the pipe, then rescrew the shower head back on. If that doesn't
work, just buy another shower head and replace it. They're not
expensive unless you've got a really high end bathroom.

If the bath faucet is the problem, I'm probably not gonna be much
help.

- Jeff