Posted to alt.home.repair
John McGaw John McGaw is offline

Default No shower curbs

wrote:
I am wondering how these bathrooms are done without a shower curb:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project_...om/wetroom.jpg
http://www.impey-showers.com/prod_img/hd6_s_1.jpg

There is still a shower pan below, or no? Or you have to consider the
entire bathroom a giant shower pan and slope everything to the shower
drain?

I have a bathroom I am remodeling where the space between the shower
edge and the closet flange is two inches less than the minimum
clearance (16") and I don't want a 4"-6" thick curb to hold up the
shower door, I was thinking this may be the solution, but may be there
are other creative ways.

Thanks,

MC

Curbless showers are rather common in new construction and are commonly
called "accessible" or some such term. They don't use a conventional
shower pan from what I seen but have a waterproof membrane under the
tile. I'd also imagine that the membrane extends further than expected
and the pitch toward the drain might be just a bit steeper than normal.
Of course a sane designer would make sure that the shower head was
positioned so that a full stream couldn't be sprayed across the room.
I've been considering doing a curbless when I re-do the bathroom off of
my master bedroom but suspect that it is just too small to pull it off.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]