Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default expanation of 3 phaze power

3 Phase power is very desirable. Motors do not suffer velocity modulation
like single single phase motors do and they are more efficient. I am
American, but live in Europe where most homes are fed with 3 phase. It is
wonderful. When I return to the US, I will do my damdest to live where 3
phase is available, but having said that, I do appreciate the single phase
dilemma in the US. My solution would be a Motor Generator set where I would
run a large single phase motor and drive a 3 phase alternator with a very
large flywheel in between. These are very efficient and infinitely more
reliable than an electronic phase converter, as they are very prone to back
EMF caused switch failures with the large inductive loads. I know the
puritans in the group may flame my solution because by using an inductive
motor as a rotory source wwould create a secondary frequency 10% slow due to
inductive slip, but my experience using 60 Hz motors on 50 Hz power has
proven that it works flawlessly and it is definitly the least expensive
solution. Remember that all converters imitate the third phase, but do not
drive the motor in a balanced condition, as this manufactured phase is only
a helper.
Steve

wrote in message
Can somone post a link to a description of how 3 phaze power works. My
brother is looking at buying a Felder combination woodworking machine
with 3 4kw motors in 3 phaze and while we both worked for an
electrician as kids we never worked with 3 phaze. If he buys it he's
planing on buying a converter as he can't get 3 phaze power at his
place. He worked in a shop with converter while in college but has
never had to set one up.
Thanks
Karl