geoff m

Default Which machine?

I got a lathe before I got the mill. I woudl use the lathe 100 times
more than the mill. I now have 2 mills (1x old horizontal, 1 x horiz
with vertical head - I use this the most) and 2 lathes, and have my
eye on a (bigger) third...
It depends on what you make. Main tools I use for making "stuff" are
the cutoff bandsaw, welder, gas set and lathe and drill press, in no
particular order.
The bigger drill-mills can be good value and can do good work, within
their size limits.
It may be heresy to some, but some of the Asian lates, etc are very
good. Expect to pay good money for them however - there is no free
lunch, just a discount... Likewise, some of the East Europena and
Russian (Tos, Stankoimport) stuff is good and very solid.
Geoff