Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] timbirr@mailcity.com is offline

Default Need Chimney Cap Repair Advice .. .. ..

On Feb 11, 8:37*pm, "__ Bøb __" wrote:
I have a double-flue chimney that has a leaky cap. * It gets saturated
with water, then drips down into the wall cavity. * I don't think it has
yet caused any real rot (hope not anyway) but I need to seal it from the
elements. * I tried cleaning it with bleach/Jomax .. let it dry
thoroughly, then gave it 2 coats of RustOleum's epoxy-based concrete
paint. * It held for about a year, but it is now coming off in big
flakes & pieces. * What type of material is best to seal this porous
surface ?? ?? * I thought about the paint they use on mobile home roofs,
but am looking for opinions. * How about that rubber membrane they use
in shower-pans ?? ?? * Just thinking out loud .. .. .. any
ideas/thoughts would be much appreciated.

Reading again, it almost sounds as if you need a new cap....if you do,
just buy one. They arent that expensive. Mine, custom-made and
installed was only $50...of course that was 15 years ago...