Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] basscadet75@yahoo.com is offline

Default Stripping wall papaer

On Feb 11, 6:32 pm, "Jimmie D" wrote:
What could make removing wallpapare so difficult? My wife and I decided
someone put it up with carpenters glue.

I hear you - we're in a similar situation in my house. We've become
experts at techniques for painting over wallpaper, because our
repeated attempts at getting the paper down have only made things
worse. We've got stuff up that's probably original to the 1923
construction. I've never seen wallpaper like this; we take off the
first four or five layers and the last one is always this stuff that's
like 1/8" thick and comes off in chunks, usually taking some of the
plaster with it. Anything we use that's strong enough to dissolve the
glue does the same to the wall behind it. It looks worse to remove it
than it does to just sand and spackle over the seams, prime and paint.

I actually wish I had sheetrock walls sometimes so I could just rip
them all down and rebuild them - it would be easier than trying to
remove this 85 year old wallpaper from plaster.

- Jeff