Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Clausing 5914 and Dickson Toolpost

On 2008-02-11, Joseph Gwinn wrote:
In article ,
Terry Coombs wrote:

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

[ ... ]

I assume that originally the toolpost came with a big cylindrical post
nut with a ball-headed arm, for rapid clamping and release, so one could
rotate any of the three holders into position. Having to really bear
down on the clamp arm would soon wear the operator out, not to mention
wear the threads out.

So I just drilled a hole to accept the pin.

I've never seen what this toolpost is supposed to look like, and to
include, and have been guessing. Can you suggest a URL that leads to a
good photo or two? Thanks.

[ ... ]

http://www.stallard-engineering.co.uk/Engineering/dicksonquickchangetoolpost.htm
and this one has a cylindrical nut with lever.

So I'm not nuts after all? Or, the lever nut is shopmade? It seems
oversized in proportion. I always wondered how one arranged it so that
the lever didn't get in the way, especially over time as things wear and
the angle at which clamping is achieved drifts.

From the satin-chrome finish, that looks more like the original
clamping nut for a turret toolpost which was kept when the Dickson was
put onto the machine. probably the rod was kept too. Certainly the
finish does not match the rest of the toolpost.

And the orientation of the toolpost does not seem correct,
either. The third set of V-ways (actually the first by my mental image)
is facing 180 degrees away from the centerline of the spindle axis.
Note that if you rotate the compound to be parallel to the cross-slide,
you would have the orientation which I would use with a three-faced
toolpost.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564