Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Using a 14 tooth thread dial with an 8 TPI leadscrew...

Bruno wrote:
A friend just got a Birmingham 12x36 lathe and tells me the leadscrew
is 8 TPI, yet the thread dial gear is 14 teeth, with 8 marks on it.
Anyone else out there with a similar lathe? Does it have the same
thread dial? I would think a 16 tooth thread dial would be
appropriate. What's the thinking behind 14, and will it really work?

Have him get a magnifier and count again. It is IMPOSSIBLE that
a lathe was built with a 14-T threading dial gear, unless the
guy who sold it to him is well known for practical jokes!

I'd expect if 2 teeth were missing, he'd clearly notice.

Jon