Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default Clamping V blocks onto 2-3-4 blocks

Interesting, I suppose using brass stock to protect the action from
scratches would work. That would keep the action reasonably square to
the spindle.

Consider this- indicate the vise so it's 90 degrees to the X axis, put
the V blocks up so the barrel is horizontal, tighten the vise so the
action is tight.

This would be OK for drilling with no side forces, up next to the
action, but milling for a dovetail would make me wonder how rigid it
would be without fastening the barrel and V blocks down.

Wes wrote:
Louis Ohland wrote:

I've had to diddle around trying to clamp a V block down onto a 2-3-4
block while keeping said collection square to the spindle

Actual use was drilling for a scope mount on a Stevens Favorite single
shot. I left the action on the barrel and used a Kant-Twist clamp
(w/poly jaws) to hold the action against an angle plate (keeps the
barrel lined up at right angles to the action). But I had to use blocks
to raise the v blocks high enough for the tang to clear the table (the
tang was actually down in a T slot).

Could you have taken the slab sided action (assuming) and clamped that into
your mill vise and then indicated the barrel to horizontal? Then place a
support under where you are drilling?

I have a Stevens miserable loader that I've relined and just need to cut off
the barrel and crown. I didn't get grandma's gun so I bought one that
needed a bit of work so I'd have one for myself.

Wes