Seppo Renfors

Default Question re. Copper artifact Canadian Arctic former CopperCasting In America (Trevelyan)

Inger E Johansson wrote:

Inger E
"Seppo Renfors" skrev i meddelandet

Inger E Johansson wrote:

Seppo and Tom,
I am reading an interesting article about Copper casting, Norse Artifact
Copper casting, found in Canadian arctic. I guess I refered to it

before.
What's intriguing is that it's seems as if some of the Copper has been
analyzed and some not. Thus I wonder if anyone of you have read or heard

of
the full testresult of the Copper in the analyzed artifacts. Is the

origin
of the Copper discussed at all?

I reported on copper said to originate from the Coppermine River
region found on Greenland in an earlier post. The river was named for
the Copper Inuit (?) who live in this area.

I have read:
P Schledermann and K M McCullough: Inuit-Norse Contacts in Smith Sound
Region in Contact, Continuity and Collapse.ISBN 2-503-51291-7
where they in a table dealing with artifacts and descriptions Cat.No.

resp
Remarks regarding several artifacts found in among other sites House 21
Skraeling Island Site refer to Mc Cullogh 1989 for a Copper endblade
Sf-Fk-4-1216? Have anyone of you or the others seen any hint of where

the
Copper origin from?

Seppo,
sorry I missed that ref. you say Greenland, the one I refered to definitely
wasn't found in Greenland. Btw there were an Iron blade found with a handle
of musk ox and a carpenter's special tool - a wood carpenter's
plane(McCullough 1989, pl 73).....
typical trade items don't you agree? :-)

A knife, machete or axe would be "trade goods" - but not a carpenters
plane. What would Inuit do with one of them?

--
SIR - Philosopher unauthorised
The one who is educated from the wrong books is not educated, he is