Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM[_2_] RBM[_2_] is offline

Default Installing a GFI

wrote in message
A simple task, I know.

Not necessarily, some manufacturers make them more dificult to wire than
others. The new Leviton brand GFCI has a hole for the ground, just like the
hot and neutral, so their pretty easy, also be careful how you arrange the
wires in the box as you push the outlet back in, especially the bare ground.

The GFI in my kids' bathroom went bad.
I installed the new one. When it's hanging out of the wall, it works.
When I push it back into the box and press the button, I get sparks
and it trips the breaker in the basement.

The damn ground wire keeps popping off, no matter how hard I torque it
down.

All the other wires stay intact...they're the type that plug straight
into a hole in the GFI, then a screw tightens them in.

What's the trick for getting the ground wire in tight?
There's a little metal plate, but the wire doesn't fit under it...so
I'm just trying to tighten it under the screw head.