Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
* * is offline

Default Seeking source for shim/spring washers

Steve Lusardi wrote in article
I have a suggestion. You can buy laminated sheet .035" thick Each

lamination
is about .002" thick in stainless. The sheets come in panels about 3' x

6'.
This material is peelable shim stock. I would make up a set of punch dies

for every washer size you need. I suppose you could buy the punches as

well,
perhaps others would know where. Simply punch out as many as you need.

This
material is very easy to use, just use a pocket knife to start a peel and

then with pliers or your fingers, just lift the layer off until you have

the right thickness.
Steve

I've wondered about using shim stock.

Only problem is that the shim punches I see in the catalogs such as Enco
only go up to 3/4"

I have several Greenlee chassis punches up to two inches, and I am
wondering if they would cut .025 stainless.

While I am stacking these shims, they must be free to flex and deflect. A
laminated shim would not work, but if the Greenlee punches would work, that
might be my option.

Thanks!

"*" wrote in message
I am seeking a source for washers with the following specs.

Flat - not Belleville, cupped, curved, etc.

Stainless Steel or blue spring steel

I.D.: Both 3/8" and 1/2"

O.D.: Would like the following O.D. dimensions with both the 3/8" and

1/2"
I.D..... .750", .900", 1.050", 1.200", 1.350" (O.D dimensions not
absolutely critical but should be somewhere near.)

Thickness: ranging from .002" to .025" in each size.

Google searches have only resulted in Belleville-type spring washers. I
need flat washers with which to build shim stacks.

I can buy each one of these washers through the dealer at $1 - to - $2
each!

I would like to find a source where I can buy boxes of 25, 50, or 100

for
few cents per washer.

I am open to any creative alternatives........