Posted to alt.home.repair
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default Drain field for washing machine only

On Feb 11, 9:53*am, wrote:
I have a 30 year old septic system and the guy who pumped it out
recently tried to sell me on having a separate leach field installed
for the washing machine. *He says it would prolong the life of the
main septic system, espeically now that our kids are getting to the
age where we are doing lots of laundry. *It sounds logical,
considering the washing machine dumps lots of water, detergent and
bleach into the main system. *Our old wash machine is 12 years old and
showing signs of its age. *I will probably be getting a new unit
within a year that uses less water.

But I wanted to get more opinions before I do anything.

If I do go through with it, it will mean running a drain line through
a wall into the garage, then running it along the inside wall of the
garage about 20 feet and through the exterior wall before going
underground. *Any concerns there?

Make it oversize, properly sloped and with cleanouts in case it gets
clogged and you should have no problem with a french drain for your
washer.
Septic guy knows that synthetic lint will clog your leach field .