Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default I want to join this group How?

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message

My friend took my TomTom GPS to NYC last year. Doesn't work
downtown, none do as confirmed by cab drivers he asked.

What's the problem? Can't lock onto the GPS satellites?

The tall metal buildings reflect so many signals that the GPS
receivers can't determine their actual location. The phase of the
signals are critical for the calculations.

By the way, just in case it isn't clear... GPS is a passive system. Contrary
to stuff you sometimes see on television, the receiver does not transmit to
the satellite.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell