Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Is it really that tough out there ? FIRED !

William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Certainly! Our employees were the highest paid techs in the area,
had the best health care, got to drive company trucks home, and
could be fired if they didn't do their jobs right. My pay was more
than $3 an hour higher than anyone in any of the union shops.
As usual, you union maggots can't see reality for your greed.

If the situation were reversed -- that the union employees were better
off -- would you have pumped for a union?

No I would have moved to another field. That job was well below my
skill set, but the pay was acceptable. I worked second shift by myself,
set my own schedule, and had free cable TV while at work. If there was
something I wanted to watch, that was when i took my lunch break.

I've long wanted a union for technical writers. Not for better pay, which is
good, but to keep out the unqualified people (ie, middle-aged women who have
nothing better to do with their time) and establish high standards of
technical documentation. I wish there were a tech-writer's union -- I'd
probably still be working at Data I/O.

A professional association would be better than a union, but you
still run into management not understanding the importance of good
documentation, or even worse, the bean counters who won't spend the
money.

Speaking of steel mills... Do you remember the tax break American steel
companies got back in the '70s? Do you remember what they did with it?

When was this? I spent part of the '70s in the US Army.

Greedy unions exist because greedy businesses exist.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida