Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default I want to join this group How?

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 00:39:01 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:11:04 +0000, Arfa Daily wrote:

"Don Bowey" wrote in message
On 2/9/08 2:22 AM, in article
,
"Arfa Daily" wrote:

"Meat Plow" wrote in message
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008 10:22:15 -0800, budi wrote:

I want to join this group How? I am from Indonesia

Send $30.00 US International money order to:

Arfa Daily

31 Royal Hill
Greenwich
London
SE10 8RR

Just for sport, I just had a look for that address on my GPS. Would
you
believe that there doesn't actually seem to be a street in London
called
"Royal Hill" ? Surprised me ...

Arfa

Would you believe there are many new streets in many countries that
are
not
yet in GPS maps?

Greenwich ain't too new though ... !! Actually, I've come across this
before. I think that the search algorithm on my GPS is not terribly
good
(it
is quite old). I've asked it for a route to somewhere that I know
exists,
and it just denies that it is in the database. Then I go and look
manually
on the displayed map and lo! there it is ...

Arfa

I had that problem with my Magellan. Not with the TomTom though, what a
kick ass GPS. All my friends want to borrow the damn thing especially a
friend who is a retired Secret Service agent and now a private
investigator. I told him I was going to start renting it out so he went
and bough his own TomTom I guess the laugh is on me though because he
paid a lot less for his than mine and granted it isn't as sophisticated
as
mine but it does the same things the same way.

My son has got a job as a relief manager for a chain of bookies, and they
keep sending him all over the entire area. His idea of local geography
is -
how shall we put it kindly ? - lets say 'sketchy' at best, so he keeps
'borrowing' my GPS. So far, it seems to be finding all of the shops that
he
has to get to, but sooner or later, I guess I'm going to be taking that
frantic phone call when both he, and the GPS, are utterly lost in a field
somewhere ... :-)

Arfa

My friend took my TomTom GPS to NYC last year. Doesn't work downtown, none
do as confirmed by cab drivers he asked.

I guess that might be to do with the very high buildings creating a 'tunnel'
to the sky. It would probably be quite hard to see enough sky to receive a
minimum 3 satellites. There are not actually that many of them, so you need
to have a clear radio-view of a good old wodge of blue, to get a 3 bird
lock.

As far as the bookie thing goes, it's academic now anyway, since today, he
had a big argument with the management about working hours and such, and has
now given notice to quit ! Now, just a question then. There is plenty of
horse racing and other 'bettable' sports in America, so how do you actually
place a bet, if you can't go into a shop to do it ?

Arfa