Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jusme[_2_] jusme[_2_] is offline

Default Best prank to date! Oh, there be metal!

Carl,

How do I say what I want to say in reply to your reply to me?

I most certainly do not want to make an enemy and I really know that you
meant well and only want to prevent me
or others from some amount of grief in handling these magnets. Further, I
don't wish to embarrass you but, call it a personality disorder or quirk
however, I really get agitated when I am 'nannied'.

I have been around since dirt and have tinkered with just about everything
except fissionable material - would love to do so.

I am getting closer to the dirt so, unless it is something that swoops down
and grabs me in ways that I cannot see, taste, smell, hear, such as CO or
something else that a normal person who keeps informed would know about,
please let me splatter out my little brains while not wearing a seat-belt or
a crash helmet or get - if I had one - my Pacemaker in an electrostatic
and/or an electromagnetic field, or eat wild mushrooms without knowing the
good from the bad or walking down a dark alley in the ghettoes of Detroit at
3 a.m.

Thanks and please, no offense meant

j/b

"Carl M" wrote in message
On Feb 10, 9:50 am, "jusme" wrote:
Tom,

Where did you get a neodymium magnet of that size. I would love to have
one
that size or bigger.

I have some that came out of hard drives and they are powerful, to say the
least.

j/b

There are several inexpensive sources for these magnets. Since
China got into the industry, the price of these dropped like a rock.
Custom magnet sizes of small quantities are still very expensive.
I gotta warn you, though. If you want one of these, you need to
think about several things. Not only will skin squash out between
them and ferrous materials, so will bone and just about anything else
you value highly. I work with very powerful magnets on my job, and
can't tell you how many times just the little ones have caused me
pain. Since magnets become more powerful as an inverse square of the
distance, just the acceleration alone will hurt, not just the static
pull force, and when they smack together, neo magnets chip badly and
send pieces flying, which are also bad for flesh in the area,
including our eyes. I highly suggest you be serious about owning
large magnets, mostly due to the safety aspects. We have a special
wooden cabinet where we store all our magnets, packed in cardboard,
bubble wrap, and whatnot. Our most common packing method is a piece
of steel flashing with cardboard or cork glued in place to keep the
field under control and to make things more separable. You also want
a box that puts the outside of the box four or more times the diameter
of the magnet away. There is a way to handle magnets that minimizes
the hazards that has to do with holding them so the poles oppose each
other when holding them, and bringing them together at right angles,
with materials between them during handling so you can arrange them as
you need. As odd as it sounds, you need to hold them as if they are
trying to pull together at all times, with tense muscles, so that if
and when the pull strength pulls them together, your body is ready;
you'll never be able to react fast enough unless you're already
tense. Strong fields are also a no-no for those with pacemakers or
other implanted devices.
The magnet suppliers ship the larger ones with plastic separators
between them, wrapped in bubblewrap very carefully. I advise you to
mind that your watch, credit cards, and other magnetic media,
electronic equipment, and a number of other items are all at risk when
strong fields are present. If I see that my watch has stopped for a
certain period, I know that I've been working at the exposure limit.
By the way, my watch is analog for that reason.