Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Louis Ohland Louis Ohland is offline

Default Clamping V blocks onto 2-3-4 blocks

I thought of making some finger clamps to pull down the V block, but
that doesn't answer how to keep things square while tightening things down.

_ wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:45:44 -0600, Louis Ohland wrote:

_ wrote:
On Mon, 11 Feb 2008 10:18:49 -0600, Louis Ohland wrote:

I've had to diddle around trying to clamp a V block down onto a 2-3-4
block while keeping said collection square to the spindle

Actual use was drilling for a scope mount on a Stevens Favorite single
shot. I left the action on the barrel and used a Kant-Twist clamp
(w/poly jaws) to hold the action against an angle plate (keeps the
barrel lined up at right angles to the action). But I had to use blocks
to raise the v blocks high enough for the tang to clear the table (the
tang was actually down in a T slot).

So how can you clamp down v blocks onto 2-3-4 blocks and still remain
square to the spindle?
Loctite.

Interesting use of adhesives. How is the residue removed after the
machining is complete? Will applying force in shear be enough to free
the blocks?

Oh, did you want to be able to take them apart after? (chuckle).

(I corrected your posting error for you.)