ATP

Default VFD problems ?

Robert Swinney wrote:
Jake,

I'm not experienced with VFD's so I'll take a crack at your problem.
(Don't you love it when a neophyte is the first to respond) Anyway,
I question why you selected that particular VFD for your lathe. Did
the manufacturer recommend a 3hp VFD for your 3hp lathe? Are you
sure you shouldn't have a VFD of higher power than the lathe motor?
The symptoms and actions you gave seem consistent with a marginally
powered VFD - But, again, I have no experience with VFD's. Come in,
Don Nichols!

Bob Swinney

The TECO's are supposed to be full rated even with single phase input. I use
Allen Bradley 1305's and always derate, since I usually buy used stuff. I've
never had an overcurrent fault.

"Jake in Escondido" wrote in message
Hello All,

I have just aquired a new to me Enco 13" lathe. The lathe itself runs
very well. But my VFD is giving me fits. About every third or fourth
time I turn the lathe on, I get a OC-C fault on my 3hp TECO 100FM
VFD. The lathe has a 3hp 3phase motor. The OC-C fault is supposed to
indicate "Overcurrent during constant speed". The causes indicated in
the manual are 1. Load changes excessively, or 2. Input voltage
fluctuates excessively. The actions are 1. Check load condition 2.
install a reactor between power supply and inverter.

The fault will occur on start up with just the 3 jaw chuck as a load.
It has never occured, once the lathe has reached running speed. I
have increased and decreased the start up time, with no effect on the
problem. The load should be pretty constant. I am not sure what a
"reactor" is.

Do any of you electronics wizards have an idea of what the problem
might be?

TIA

Jake in Escondido